Thing 11: Twitter

Now, Twitter I love.  At the heart of Twitter are short messages, called Tweets, which can include photos, videos, links, text and #Hashtags.  I like to use it for keeping up with whats going on in the care sector, posting updates from events I attend and its fantastic for discovering new ideas which may otherwise be missed.  As wonderful as it is, it is marred by real time restrictions, I am part owner and registered manager of Abbey Court so my time is extremely limited and I don't tweet nearly as much as I could but as the home is still in relative infancy (opened May 2018), I am confident we can get to a point where we can afford the time to use these tools to their best advantage.  

An example of this is a local group called #FitBaw  These amazing guys go round care homes in Glasgow and provide fun and exercise for residents, teaching them balance and strength and giving them a sense of achievement when they have goal scoring at the end of the session.  As wonderful as this sounds, by following FitBaw on twitter and seeing the number of homes they work with, I hit on the idea that we should have a virtual league where all the homes can compete together over a period of time and eventually crown a winner (friendly of course).  So I contacted the team and they thought it was a great idea and we're currently in the process of getting it organised.  Which brings me to lists, until I started this unit I didn't know about twitter lists (yay learning!), and reading about them they make a lot of sense,  as much as i don't have time to tweet very often I do try to keep up with it as much as possible and I've never found it overwhelming but the ability to create lists and maximise the interaction without disruptions is very appealing and I'm sure will be of great benefit to us.  

Another example is the #CAPAprogramme an activity based collaboration from the Care Inspectorate  which is nationwide and aimed at encouraging all care establishments to help residents "Move more Often" using basic and innovative exercises aiming at the best possible outcome from the smallest of changes.  I even earned a badge from attending the CAPA events so thats proof positive that this initiative is here to stay and thanks to Twitter we can all get involved and participate to improve our residents wellbeing and our own understanding of the importance of it. 

Management tools such as Tweedeck and hootsuite are probably more than we need right now but its is certainly good to know that when we get to a stage where we are expanding our homes and company that we will be able to embrace this and use it to push boundaries.

BM

Comments